Friday 22 June 2012

Hearts And Minds






The article linked below from Science Daily offers the theory that love and romance and all that is all in the brain and the heart has nothing to do with it.

There you go then, another fond, if I may use that word, notion that us humans have entertained for a very long time turns out to be wrong.

Somehow if “You Are My Heart’s Delight” is now “You Are My Brain’s Delight” it doesn’t sound the same.

As for “My Heart Cries For You”, oh dear.


If you really want to give the brain a workout preliminary to your next romantic venture try this one below for size, from Naked Capitalism on Quants Models and the Blame Game.

It is about how a love for shapely figures led to the disasters in the financial services markets.  The key statement in all this is that “Decision makers really want simple heuristics.” 

This is perhaps the point at which the two items find common ground.


They’ll be trying to tell us next that the blood circulates.

1 comment:

  1. That second link is interesting and I'm sure we've all seen it in our own fields. Those who know the uncertainties are ignored by more senior players who trade on certainties.

    Sounds like a general take on life to me. I certainly came across it in a different context. Those ignored quants have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete