Saturday 10 December 2016

Snow Job




The word "snowflakes" has been taken out of its seasonal and meteorological context to describe persons who are ultra sensitive not just to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune but all the glancing by-blows, bumps and irritations of living a life.

As many suggest, it is becoming ridiculous. Worse, it is becoming an excuse for a person with authoritarian leanings to stamp on anyone who differs, remarks or jests in a way that is not to their taste. If I was minister in charge of the DCMS, culture, media and sport I would ban all mention of Arsenal.

It is December and time perhaps for real snowflakes, those white bits of frozen water to come down from the skies to paralyse life as we know it in Britain. Many of us have a strong dislike for snow. It disrupts the diary, makes shopping difficult and far worse might entail some physical effort. Yes, I know snow can mean another thing, so please don't go into a tizzwas.

It is not all bad, because this is the season when the ballet "The Nutcracker" is favoured by many for a couple of hours easy living and listening. Above is a desktop picture for the part of the ballet known as The Waltz Of The Snowflakes. If you are an ultra sensitive person you might use it.

There is a lot of this on Youtube, notably the Royal Ballet version and if you like to detach yourself from the real world there are worse ways. Even better, it is not "challenging" "socially real" with the crash bang wallop, shouting and blood and guts etc. that is so much of TV and film in the 21st Century.

And I am not just talking about the football.

1 comment:

  1. Some years ago I had a problem with my father's gas bill. During the night is snowed quite heavily so the following morning I phoned the gas supplier early.

    I'd worked out that if I rang early I'd get someone who had been keen enough to struggle through the snow and I did. Problem quickly sorted by a pleasantly efficient voice on the other end of the phone.

    Snow has its advantages.

    ReplyDelete