Tuesday 11 November 2014

Remembrance





It is always difficult to know exactly what to say on Remembrance Day.  On this occasion, here is just one small part of the whole and referring to one day in the War taken from The Cameronians web site.

Quote:

Extract from General Sir John French's Address to the 2nd Cameronians after the battle of Neuve Chapelle, 10th March 1915:

'I come here as Commander-in-Chief of this Army to express to you my heartiest gratitude for the splendid part which you took at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle. I know what awful losses you suffered, I know the gallantry you displayed on that occasion has never been surpassed by a British soldier.

You came up against the enemy's wire, and although the artillery was unable to get at it, you showed the utmost bravery and gallantry. I deeply regret the terrible losses you suffered on that occasion. No less than 22 officers were killed or wounded; the officer commanding your splendid Battalion, Colonel Bliss, being included amongst the losses.

Everyone in the Regiment will deeply regret this loss. I do not mean to say it was too much - I want you all to realise that, I am sure your officers will always lead you on, it may be to die, but follow them right gallantly, I know you will.

I am sure at the same time you will all feel what your officers have done for you, leading you as they have done; but still at the same time the officers on their part felt they had splendid and gallant men who would follow them anywhere and had every confidence in them.

That is one great thing, the mutual confidence which exists between leaders and men. I can not say more.'

Unquote.

Remember.

1 comment:

  1. I sometimes wonder if we lost too many good men in both wars - too many to get back on our feet.

    ReplyDelete